Sunday, April 30, 2006

WTC and Jersey City


This month I spent a few weeks working at a customer out at Jersey City in New Jersey. If you remembered, I checked out an area called Weehawken in New Jersey at the start of last month when I was looking for a place to stay. Jersey City is on the water's edge and right across from downtown Manhattan.

To get there, I catch the E train (the subway) all the way to Chambers Street stop, which is also the site where the World Trade Centers used to be. From there I transfer over to the PATH (which is New Jersey's subway, connecting NJ to NY).

During morning rush hour it is quite a sight. There are these big long escalators, very much like those at Parliament Station in Melbourne and they are jammed packed with people who makes the commute from NJ to Manhattan daily. Everyone is rushing, running up not wanting to waste another minute.

The PATH used to be totally underground and on top of the station, my relatives told me that there once were floors of shops, eateries and offices above. When they saw the pictures I took above, they said that the escalators are actually the originals from before. It was certainly very surreal sitting in the PATH train as it makes its way down the big hole in the ground before heading into the subway tunnel.


The part of Jersey City that I was in was pretty much just full of office buildings and not much else. You do get a very good view of Manhattan across the Hudson River.

No comments: