Thursday, April 06, 2006

Signs of Spring


After weeks of miserable weather in New York, there are finally signs of spring here!

On the weekend, it was good enough weather to go outside wearing t-shirt and a thin hoodie (ie. a hooded top, I learned that from my cousin).

As the weather warmed up, the colour on the street also became more vibrant - this goes for plants as well as people. 2 weeks ago, all you would see in the subway was a sea of black - black coats, black pants, black shoes, black beanies and scarf and black gloves. It was like a train full of people attending a funeral. Now I am seeing petals, some green and pink and sometimes even eye catching orange and red.

5th avenue was lined with flowering Magnolias as well as varieties of cherry blossoms. Birds were chirping, kids and parents were out and about. Central Park was buzzing with activities - cyclist, rollerbladers, street buskers, tourists (as per usual), and everyone out enjoying a nice day out.

It happened to be Greek Independence Day on that Sunday as well so there were parade floats going down Lexington Ave all the way down to the METs on 5th Avenue and 82nd street.



But New York's weather is just about as predictable as Melbourne's.

Last Wednesday morning when I went to work, I debated with myself if I should bring my long coat as it was already very warm in my suit. At around mid morning, I happened to look out the window and it was snowing like there is no tomorrow outside! The flakes were about the size of cotton balls!

Seriously, it looked like a blizzard with the wind blowing against the building. Then just as sudden as it started, the sun was out again by the afternoon and when I finally left work for the day, you could not possibly know that it snowed in the morning. The snow has melted away and the ground was completely dry. Apparently this happens, even in April.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hmm... i must admit i didn't notice the sea of black in NYC when I was there last time. It was late October or early November.