Saturday, April 29, 2006

Shop up a storm!

Ok girlfriends, after a month or so of serious research, I would like to share a discovery on shopping in New York with you - the secret of designer bargain shopping. I have never "researched" into this area until my cousins (bless them!!) revealed their secrets to their success.

The trick is: Outlet malls!!

As with most things in the US, these malls are SERIOUSLY big. I am talking "walk until you have worn a holes in your soles" big. It is basically a day trip if you can handle it. You will also need a strategic plan before you start. There are so many shops at those places you really need to work out which ones are the "must sees" vs the "check out if time permits".

Some places are more organized than others - at least you should be able to find sizes according to displayed areas. There are others which reminded me of Dimmeys (sorry, no offense) but instead of the generics, the merchandises are your big American brands (you know which ones I mean - I don't want to advertise here, but think Collin Street shops and DJ end on upper level of Chaddy, Melbourne people).

You know you are in the right place when you see designer handbags piled high in a heap on a discount table and designer jeans jam-packed on cloth racks like K-mart displays

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with K-mart, I am just trying to say it is not like the designer boutique shops where you walk in and there are like 10 items on the wall hung like artwork - I often feel too intimidated to even touch anything in those. At these places, you can throw on all the fancy stuff but feel just like you are in your local shopping centres.

Needless to say - I ended up spending my money on my research trips, hee hee hee. Hey but everything was a bargain!! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey dont just describe...let in the names and places?!!! hahahha but I concur...man it is crazzzy.

Winnie said...

Did you find any "almost" designer garbs (knock-offs) on the street in Manhattan? I didn't find any when I was there, but friends and "Sex in the City" says otherwise.

Maybe I'm just not going to the right places.

DVDs too, I'd heard ... or so "Seinfeld" says.

Do I watch too much TV? Nah! Now just pass me the chips!

Anonymous said...

Even Homer Simpson knows good stuff in the Outlet Mall in Ogdenville. :P

Homer: Pfft. I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see it. And look,
there's Magnetbox and Sorny.
http://www.snpp.com/episodes/3F11